People choose to volunteer for a variety of reasons. For some it offers the chance to give something back to the community or make a difference to the people around them. For others it provides an opportunity to develop new skills or build on existing experience and knowledge. Regardless of the motivation, what unites them all is that they find it both challenging and rewarding. Whilst you’ll want to make a real difference when you volunteer, it’s not just about what you can do for others – volunteers get a lot out of the experience too.
Here a few of the reasons people choose to volunteer; for some it provides an opportunity to:
- Give something back to an organisation that has impacted on a person’s life, either directly or indirectly
- Make a difference to the lives of others
- Help others less fortunate or without a voice
- Feel valued and part of a team
- Spend quality time away from work or a busy lifestyle
- Gain confidence and self-esteem
At the Dove Service, we believe that volunteering is rewarding for everyone involved. Volunteering does wonders for your mind, body and spirit – it provides the opportunity to meet new people, try new things and helps you stay connected, happy and confident.